Tuesday, March 4, 2008

True Friends

Every parent hopes that their child will have friendship in their life. I have often wondered and worried about my girls. Will they have true friends or just friends who are nice to them because they are "different" or "special?" Will they be excited about inviting typical friends over to play or to birthday parties only to have them decline the invitation ? I am comforted by the knowledge that they will always have each other to call friend. I look at the other girls their ages and think about what it would be like if they were not delayed... how they would interact and play with them. Today Mary was invited to go to eat and play at McDonalds with a friend for her birthday. It was Mary, another little girl, and the birthday girl and Mary was the only one with a disability. Seeing the birthday girl light up with excitement when Mary came in brought joy to my soul! Although Mary did not interact the same and does not speak as well as the the other girls, she played and was included and loved by the other girls... her friends. Mary had a great time and when we left she said, "alia" (Mary's version of the birthday girl's name) and signed play. I asked her if she had fun and she said, "yeah," with excitement. Mary can not do a lot of the things that her peers do like play dress up or have long conversations, but her sweet friends accept her and consider her a good friend anyway. I am so grateful for those little girls who love her and are true friends despite her differences. I am so grateful for the parents of her peers who invite us on play-dates and to birthday parties. I dread the day when my sweet Mary comes crying to me because someone made fun of her or because someone doesn't want to be her friend because she is "different." I know that those days will come and that there will be many of them, until then I am so glad that she has wonderful girls who call her friend so willingly.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

that is sooo sweet!!! you have to put that picture up in your house.

Joanna said...

Both of your girls will ALWAYS be considered FRIENDS to us!! I certainly share your fears... I think (at least to some extent) every parent dreads a similar moment in thier childs life. I cried the first time one of Ethan's friends realized he was 'different', it broke my heart for now AND for more of it to come.

Jaime said...

ok, make me cry- that was so sweet! They have and will always be friends. They really do love each other. I am so glad they had a good time. She told me afterwards how much she loves Mary and Lorali!

Cheril Lunt said...

Well, I have to say that Hannah LOVES Mary... She is always so excited when Mary just runs up and gives her a hug... I really hope that thier friendship will continue. I love both your daughters and the wonderful glow that surrounds them just makes me smile...

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

What a sweet post!

Rebecca said...

so i see you might need my help with posting the way cute pictures of your babies. also call me whenever you want to create that new blog.