Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Art Classes

After a long break I am teaching art classes again. I was plannnig to start back up last fall after Amelia was born, but her unexpected diagnosis and health issues delayed everything. I am excited to start teaching again. It helps me to remember how much I love art and how passionate I am about it. I have been teaching art lessons out of my home for almost 3 years now. I started off with 2 classes which consisted of my 2 nephews and their friends. Now I have 5 classes and if I had time I could probably add about 2 more. Each class consists of about 4 kids ranging in ages from 4 to 16 (the classes are separated by age group.) I do really love art!! I am such an artsy-fartsy geek, especially when it comes to the technical part of what goes into a piece of artwork. I love how the elements of art/design (line, shape, form, space, texture, value, and color) are the building blocks of every work of art, whether an artist consciously thinks about them or unconsciously uses them as a basis. I love the theory of composition and balance and all of the principles of design (the way inwhich the elements are organized.) Sorry, I could talk all day about art, but I won't. I am so glad to be able to teach lessons to children and young adults and help them appreciate and maybe even aquire a passion for art (and of course it doesn't hurt that I make a little money doing it, too). When I was studying fine art at Georgia State University I remember making a conscious decision to become a mother instead of a great artist. In my opinion to become a great artist you must be devote your time into studying and creating, which is very hard to do with children. You must be selfish (I don't mean that to be negative), whereas to be a mother you must be selfless. I knew that I could still create artwork and that art will always be a part of my life, but that I would never create a painting or drawing that would inspire thousands; I had to sacrifice any great masterpieces that might have been. Instead I choose to create living masterpieces who are their own work of art and even though they are not always perfect they inspire me and hopefully will grow to inspire those around them.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Wow, what a beautiful, heartfelt post! you and your family are a bunch of talented people, i am glad you teach your passion and talent to others, and i commend your decision to be a mom, you are great mom!!

Joanna said...

I love that you can and do teach art classes. I totally understand how sharing that passion would be good for a soul. You should teach a texture/art class for the sensory kids!